Installing Sun Java

Robert G. (Doc) Savage dsavage at peaknet.net
Sat Jan 10 18:53:41 UTC 2004

On Tue, 2004-01-06 at 23:49, Krikket wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Jeremy Hogan wrote:
> > On Mon, 2004-01-05 at 12:43, WA9ALS - John wrote:
> > > I've installed the Sun java rpm - What further do I need to do to get it
> > > actually going with Mozilla?  I've done this successfully before, but
> > > this time I'm missing something.  Thanks - John
> >
> > ln -s /path/to/java/javaplugin_oji.so
> > /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so
> >
> > or for just one user
> >
> > ln -s plugin /home/user/.mozilla/plugins/javaplugin_oji.so
>
> I'm also having difficulties, and I did that.  Copied and pasted from the
> website, to insure there were no typos.
>
> Mozilla still doesn't want to recognize it.
>
> Also is Jave for the browser the same thing as the Java VM (Virtual
> Machine)?
>
> (I have another program that requires the Java VM to run, but it's not
> recognizing Java either.  Freshly downloaded from the sun website, so that
> shouldn't be a problem -- unless a bug has crept into the code they're
> distributing...)

Krikket,

I'll post my attached tiny howto again.

Regarding Java for the browser...  maybe yes and maybe no. It depends on
whether or not you actually meant to ask about JavaScript for the
browser.

Despite the similarity of their names, JavaScript and Java are very
different things:

1. JavaScript executes code that is compliant with the ECMAScript
Language Specification (see
http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/Ecma-262.pdf).
JavaScript code is usually embedded in web site code, and is understood
and executed by your browser. Microsoft uses proprietary extensions to
the ECMAScript standard that are only understood by their Internet
Explorer browser.

2. Java is Sun/Sunsoft's platform-independent language (derived from
C++) which requires a Java Virtual Machine to be installed on the local
host to execute its semi-compiled code. Java "applets" can be downloaded
via HTTP and run on your system by the Java VM. (Java is what Microsoft
tried to add Windows-only extensions to, in violation of their license.)
If you want to create Java code, download and install the Java System
Developer's Kit (SDK) rather than the Java Runtime Engine (JRE).

Hope this helps...

--Doc Savage
  Fairview Heights, IL