Windows key (Was Re: 2 newbie questions.)

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Sat Jan 10 22:06:32 UTC 2004

At 13:39 1/10/2004, you wrote:
>I know I could say this to a gnome list. I'm aware I could even post
>this to some xfree list, saying that every single keyboard sold today
>for pc have those 3 keys.

No IBM Thinkpad keyboards have that key. Other examples exist; let's not
dramatize too much.

By all means, though, let us attempt to use every resource available, and
having that key available on most keyboards makes it an attractive resource
to use. I myself would find it attractive to have the GNOME-menu and the
KDE-menu come up automatically with that key IF IT IS PRESENT. If not (and
as alternative in any case) the default behaviors should be kept and
explained to the user.

For example, I think it's exceedingly neat that if you click on the desktop
you get that menu "at your fingertips". I love not having to go to the
bottom-left corner to get at that menu. Why do we not (also) put more
effort into telling newbies how to use that menu???

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com