Using Telnet and getting message - Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused

M.Hockings veeshooter at hockings.net
Sun Jan 11 00:38:20 UTC 2004

Barry Yu wrote:

> When I am in Windows 2k I could use Telnet to remote host Red Hat 9
> and  have  command  controll over it. But when I tried to use Telnet
> from the same Red Hat 9 machine to Telnet to same W2k machine, I was
> getting Unable to connect to remote host: Connection refused. Can
> someone help? Tks.

Hmm, if you were lucky then telnet would not work in either direction :-)

Do you have a telnet server running on the Win2K machine?  Does the
Win2K machine have a firewall up?  Is there some sort of NAT between
them?  Lot's of reasons why it wouldn't work.

I'd use SSH to talk between the machines unless the only network they
are ever on is a "null modem" cable one to the other...

Mike