Problems with Fedora kernels and PCMCIA NIC

Pawel Szopinski t0tal at kernel.pl
Sun Jan 11 01:06:28 UTC 2004

Hello,

I'm trying to use Fedore Core 1 and I can't setup correctly my NIC. It's a
simple CardBus PCMCIA card, Realtek 8139C in IBM Thinkpad 600. pcmcia-cs's
doing a good job and I hope my card is recognized correctly:

eth0: RealTek RTL8139 Fast Ethernet at 0xc6906000, 00:02:44:4c:ed:05, IRQ
11
eth0:  Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'
divert: freeing divert_blk for eth0
8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.26

I can set IP, netmask, route and I can use dhcp when I'm trying dhcp
server on my gw and interface getting number correctly from server, but
that's all. I haven't any connection with any host, all packets are lost.
Kernel's giving me something like that:

//Hub 100Mbps
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
eth0: Tx queue start entry 4  dirty entry 0.
eth0:  Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
eth0:  Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
eth0:  Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
eth0:  Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
eth0: link up, 100Mbps, full-duplex, lpa 0x45E1

All cables and devices are OK, because I'm sending this now via this
network and devices but I'm using Foo-LiveCD distribution, not Fedora Core
1.

I tried another hub/switch and situation is exactly same like last time:

//Switch 100Mbps
NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
eth0: Tx queue start entry 20  dirty entry 16.
eth0:  Tx descriptor 0 is 00002000. (queue head)
eth0:  Tx descriptor 1 is 00002000.
eth0:  Tx descriptor 2 is 00002000.
eth0:  Tx descriptor 3 is 00002000.
eth0: link up, 10Mbps, half-duplex, lpa 0x0000

Little more information about this hardware:

  Bus  4, device   0, function  0:
    Ethernet controller: PCI device 10ec:8139 (rev 16).
      IRQ 11.
      Master Capable.  Latency=64.  Min Gnt=32.Max Lat=64.
      I/O at 0x4800 [0x48ff].
      Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0x10c00000 [0x10c001ff].

I'm trying on default kernel from FC1 and I tested lastest 2.6.x kernel
from FC2 development tree, I also update pcmcia-cs to lastest version and
still without network.

Cheers,
Pawel