Auto Login

R Crunk crunkrb at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 11 14:41:15 UTC 2004

> From: Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>
>
> the desktop switching tool allows a 'user' to control which desktop
> manager he uses when he logs in (runlevel 5) or starts X (runlevel 3)

Okay, I am clear on this now.

> Auto login would not be a user preference but rather a system preference
> - i.e. supply the user account and password and automatically log in
> (and I'm presuming by this, you are referring to runlevel 5).

Right.

> It would appear that you are trying to make this like Windows and it
> ain't Windows. It is truly a multi-user operating system so little
> enthusiasm exists to do things that are contrary to the nature of
> security on a multi-user system. Inasmuch as any alteration of the
> username/password login mechanism extends to remote as well as the local
> console, this just would seem to be a very bad idea.

Not exactly like windows but as I mentioned, this is just a computer
I have installed Fedora on to play with and see how it operates. It
is an old machine I m just playing with. My intention was to get it
to boot, then up and running as soon as possible. It seems like it is
forever in booting and by not logging in saves a little time to get
to the X system. As soon as Fedora 2 comes out I will probably do a
new install. I have been using this machine to just "view" a few
different distributions.

On that I am pretty impressed with Fedora, have been using Suse
for a few months prior to this.

> The details are in xdm/gdm/kdm display login managers -- man xdm

Thanks, I will check this out.

Randall