Is qtparted working on FC1?

Emiliano Brunetti emiliano_brunetti at idg.it
Sun Jan 11 18:48:46 UTC 2004

On Sun, 2004-01-11 at 19:25, Alexander Dalloz wrote:

> > I tried qtparted. Is anyone here using it with FC1?
>
> qtparted is still in the testing repository on fedora.us ->
> http://www.fedora.us/pkglists/fedora-1-testing.html. So I think it did
> not already pass quality management.

Well, ok then. However i do need something to resize and move
partitions. Any advice?

> > I tried to install RH9 rpm packages (qtparted and all the necessary
> > programs to dela with various filesystems - on qtparted rpm's website,
> > RH9 rpms are reported to work well on FC1...). They got correctly
> > installed but qtparted doesn't work: it fires up its gui but
> > won't resize anything. A popup error message shows up, but it
> > doesn't contain any text so it is not really helpful.
> > If i launch qtparted from command prompt, i see some error messages:
> >
> > [root at localhost root]# qtparted
> > No Implementation: Support for opening ntfs file systems is not implemented yet.
>
> On http://qtparted.sourceforge.net/features.en.html you can see, that
> NTFS partitions are supported, but see the notes there. You might lack
> mkntfs and ntfsresize.

Unfortunately this is not the case. I installed ntfsprogs and mkntfs
and ntfsresize are in their place. I can mount and read ntfs filesystem
too.
Moreover, qtparted seems to be strangely unable to manage ext3
partitions as well.

> > Error: Filesystem was not cleanly unmounted!  You should e2fsck.  Modifying an u
> > nclean filesystem could cause severe corruption.
>
> Run e2fsck as you are told to do. Running a resizer on a partition which
> may contain faults you highly risk to damage it unrepairable.
>
> > Error: Filesystem was not cleanly unmounted!  You should e2fsck.  Modifying an u
> > nclean filesystem could cause severe corruption.
>
> Seems you have 2 of these partitions. If these partitions are ext3
> formatted use fsck.ext3 instead.
>
> > I checked all filesystems and they look good.
>
> Hm, you did that while they were unmounted, like booted in rescue mode?

Of course i didn't check a mounted filesystem! :)

My point was different: qtparted claims those partitions were not
cleanly unmounted. But it is wrong: they were cleanly unmounted and
they all passed the check. I have all the stuff it needs to manage
ntfs partitions, but it doesn't.

I made some test with parted, and i got similar errors. For instance,
parted refuse to resize and move ext3 partitions. So
probably the problem is to be tracked down to parted itself. I am not
sure, but parted should indeed be able to resize and move ext3
partitions, isn't it?

What could i do now?

Thanks

E.