how do I install the new KDE beta?

Trevor Smith trevor at haligonian.com
Mon Jan 12 02:56:20 UTC 2004

On Sunday 11 January 2004 22:05, ne... wrote:

> It is an iterative process. You need to get the needed rpms and add
> them to the dl directory and do the rpm -Uvh *.rpm again.

OK. But I don't know where to find any of the needed RPMs.

> >[root at localhost kde]# rpm -Uvh *.rpm
> >error: Failed dependencies:
> >        kdeaddons = %{epoch}:3.1.94-0.2 is needed by
> >kdeaddons-atlantikdesigner-3.1.94-0.2
>
> Provided by KDE.

I was told not to install this file since it allegedly is broken. I have
removed it from the directory.

> >        XFree86-devel is needed by kdesdk-devel-3.1.94-0.1
>
> XFree86-devel is provided by FC1

OK, found it. Someone told me that the *-devel-* RPMs are only needed if
you're going to compile packages for KDE. I'm not sure what that means,
precisely, but I'm not going to do it so I moved those RPMs out of the
directory. So I don't need this file anymore either.

> >        libnetsnmp.so.5 is needed by kdeutils-3.1.94-0.2
>
> [20:42:15][FEDORA]$ locate libnetsnmp.so.5
> /usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.5
> /usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.5.1.0
> [20:56:13][FEDORA]$ rpm -qf /usr/lib/libnetsnmp.so.5
> net-snmp-5.1-2.1
> This is provided by FC1

This one I still need but I don't have it. It may be provided by FC1, but
there are 3 CDs to search and that's taking me a long time... Any more hints
on where I can find it and how I can get it installed? I'm searching through
the add / remove applications tool but can't find any reference to it.

> I have detailed where you can get the rpms from above. The one's
> related to KDE are. kdesupport is deprecated, so you must have
> got old instructions.

Ah! Thank you! That's a clear explanation that I can understand to reconcile
the online info with what I'm experiencing.

>Current instructions generally go install
> qt, then arts, then kdelibs, then kdebase and then the rest as
> you need them.

Perfect. When the online instructions failed, that's what I attempted, but QT
wouldn't install (circular dependencies). Trying to do all packages in a
batch might work.