Fedora and APIPA 169.254.x.x

Dexter Ang thepoch at mydestiny.net
Sun Jan 11 12:46:14 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I was just wondering if there is any way to configure Fedora and/or RH9
to act a little like Windows. You see I configured my eth0 to
automatically get IP address via DHCP. For Windows, if it is unable to
get any IP, it automatically assigns it a 169.254.x.x address (known as
APIPA, Automatic Private IP Address). I would love to know if this is
possible with Fedora. This would be useful for whenever I want to
connect to a Windows machine without the benefit of a DHCP, and without
the headaches of having to restart the Win machine upon setting a static
IP address. So, anything to install (ie zeroconf, etc.), or maybe a
configuration file to at least allow an "alternate" IP address if I
don't get one from a DHCP server?

dex