Top or bottom.... matters less than some think.

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 12 07:41:01 UTC 2004

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 12:20:30AM -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> Top posting is used in a lot of mailing lists, numerous organizations,
> and millions of individuals as routine.....

Hmmmm, yes this is true see below.

> Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> >posting to mailinglists, known under the name 'netiquette', making life
> >easier for all.

Hmmmm, and yes he also has a point see below.

Top or bottom posting is not the issue, communication is.

If I was tossed back on an old 300/150 baud modem I would love to see
top posting as the norm.  As an old timer I still value it when done well.

Operative phrase, "when well done".  I am a person that happens to like
seeing information on the _first_ screen (30 lines).  If all I see is
history it might hit page once, twice then 'd' it is.

However, on lists like this almost,
	no one is on a 300 baud or slower modem,
	no one keeps lots of threads handy and
	no one has a 'dumb' mail interface anymore.

The net result is that there is a need for most messages to stand
alone and carry a 'lot' of context.  This makes it easy for someone to
pick up in the middle of a conversation.  Reading from top to bottom
where the last lines are the most recent make jumping into a
conversation possible.  Normally jumping in without reading all the
shifts almost forces us to drop in on discussions here.

This may explain why bottom posting is considered good on a list like
this and bad style in more common communications.  On classic net news
I could go back and pick up messages from a thread.  When I hit 'd' on
mail it is for all good purposes gone.  Thus sequential and useful
context makes sense.

For personal mail, top posting makes sense because there is a good
expectation that I have read the previous material.  For mailing lists
like this bottom posting under a sufficient context is good because I
may not have read the previous messages.

Me I do not care, just make sure your message has a message and that
I see something of interest  in the first 50 lines.

        (expect a rant on the evils of HTML eventually.
	I have not figured out how to do it without posting
	evil HTML examples yet....)

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net