Can't get kernel 2.6.1boot properly

Adam Kosmin akosmin at nyc.rr.com
Mon Jan 12 10:04:12 UTC 2004

Sounds to me like you did not include support for your file system.
Personally, I don't use ram images so I'm not going to comment on that.
Unless you really know that you need them, you might consider just
eliminating that step and compiling support for your filesystem type
directly into your kernel.

Also, I prefer copying the newly compiled image directly from
/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/ into /boot myself and adding the required
lines to either lilo.conf or grub.conf (depending).

If running lilo, be sure to run lilo -v before rebooting :)

Adam Kosmin

d l (popgojp at yahoo.co.jp) wrote:
" Hi,
"
" I am running FC1 on a shitty VIA MVP3 based mobo which
" crash when shutdown, so i decided might as well compile
" 2.6.1 kernel with CONFIG_APM_REAL_MODE_POWER_OFF enable
" and see how things go.
"
" I get the stable 2.6.1 source from kernel.org, and tries
" built the kernel with the instruction from
" http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/RHL-9-Manual/custom-guide/s1-custom-kernel-modularized.html
"
" 1) backed up /lib/modules
" 2) make mrproper
" 3) make menuconfig
" 4) make dep && make clean
" 5) make bzImage
" 6) make modules
" 7) make modules_install
" 8) make install
"
" Everything seems to run fine. initrd-2.6.1.img and
" grub.conf are created/config automatically.
"
" However when I reboots to the new kernel, things get stuck
" when the the kernel(?) tires to mount the / file system.
"
" VFS: Cannot open device "LABEL=/" or unknown-block(0,0)
" Please append a correct "root"= boot option.
" Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
" unknown-block(0,0)
"
" Changing grub.conf line:
"
" kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1 amp=realmode-power-off ro
" root=LABEL=/ rhgb
"
" to:
"
" kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1 amp=realmode-power-off ro
" root=/dev/hdc1 rhgb
"
" doesnt go very far either; system is stuck again when it
" tries to mount other partitions/disk.
"
" I tired modify /etc/fstab from using labels to actual
" partition name like:
" from:
" LABEL=/                 /                       ext3
" defaults        1 1
" to:
" /dev/hdc1               /                       ext3
" defaults        1 1
"
" It goes a little bit further in init. but stucked in
" mounting paritions/disc again.
"
" Some old msg in this mailing list suggested this might be
" the problem of a old mkinitrd, so i updated mkinitrd to
" mkinitrd-3.5.15.1-2.i386.rpm, then built the initrd image
" manually. I doesnt seems to help.
"
" Any clues?
"