Non FOSS and Fedora

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon Jan 12 11:44:14 UTC 2004

Hi Neil,

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 11:37, Neil Thompson wrote:
> We really don't need rabid fanatical so-called freedom advocates making life
> difficult for newbies or for people providing a resource (for free) which is useful
> to many people.

We also don't need to make life difficult for people (like actually
going to jail) because they don't have a licensed copy of Sun's JDK or
Adobe Acrobat, simply because they got it from a friend instead of the
official distributors, even though it's gratis.

Yes, this is not a paranoid vision, there's an EU directive proposal
aiming to turn copyright infringement a public crime, I can give you the
pointers for that, a starter could be a version of the proposal:

http://www.europarl.eu.int/meetdocs/committees/juri/20031104/511548EN.pdf

Rui

+ So let's do it...?