Thoughts on FC and the future..

Alexandre Strube surak at surak.eti.br
Mon Jan 12 12:22:58 UTC 2004

Em Seg, 2004-01-12 às 08:33, WipeOut escreveu:
> Anyone close to the development of FC would probably be the best to
> answer this..

Fedora-devel list :-)

(...)
> upgrade meaning that as updates and upgrades happen the community can
> simply use YUM or a similar app to stay current.. I know that YUM can

Its a simple change on sources.list if you use apt or yum.conf if you
use it.

The matter is: not every single person wants to upgrade immediately.
There are production server which can handle the upgrade of some
packages but not a whole system, with kernel, gcc and almost everything
else changing versions. So doing this by default is not a bad idea.

I've tried this once, with redhat8 to a preliminar version for 9. It
screwed a litlle server, and made me be a little more cautious about
this...

As you can see sometimes here, there are people which is still using
redhat 7 - that's not uncommon. (in fact, a client of mine refuses to
use anything newer than redhat 6.2 - there's special old hardware which
doesn't have drivers for kernel 2.4...)

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group