Thoughts on FC and the future..

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 12 12:42:20 UTC 2004

Alexandre Strube wrote:

>Em Seg, 2004-01-12 às 08:33, WipeOut escreveu:
>

>>Anyone close to the development of FC would probably be the best to
>>answer this..
>>

>Fedora-devel list :-)
>
>(...)
>

>>upgrade meaning that as updates and upgrades happen the community can
>>simply use YUM or a similar app to stay current.. I know that YUM can
>>

>Its a simple change on sources.list if you use apt or yum.conf if you
>use it.
>
>The matter is: not every single person wants to upgrade immediately.
>There are production server which can handle the upgrade of some
>packages but not a whole system, with kernel, gcc and almost everything
>else changing versions. So doing this by default is not a bad idea.

If a server is running an app that requires a particular version of some
package then I agree that the system would maybe not work fo that
scenario, but those packages may be able to be excluded from the update
list.. for everyone else, especially those running standard software I
still think its a good idea.. :)

>I've tried this once, with redhat8 to a preliminar version for 9. It
>screwed a litlle server, and made me be a little more cautious about
>this...

This is the point, if it was a standard practice then maybe it would not
screw up the system..

>As you can see sometimes here, there are people which is still using
>redhat 7 - that's not uncommon. (in fact, a client of mine refuses to
>use anything newer than redhat 6.2 - there's special old hardware which
>doesn't have drivers for kernel 2.4...)

I still run a RH7.2 as a webserver on one of my servers (although I am
going to have to look at upgrading soon since there are no more security
updates for 7.x) so I know what you are saying on this score.. :)