Thoughts on FC and the future..

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 12 13:33:53 UTC 2004

William Hooper wrote:

>WipeOut said:
>

>>Since the release interval between releases as so short (FC1 -> FC2 =
>>5Months) has any thought been given to maybe putting a structure in
>>place that would allow initial installs to  be performed by downloading
>>the major release ISO's and then from there simply have a rolling
>>upgrade meaning that as updates and upgrades happen the community can
>>simply use YUM or a similar app to stay current..
>>

>This idea falls apart pretty quickly depending on what is being upgraded.
>Looking at the devel list, for example, Python is going to be upgraded in
>FC2.  Yum is based on Python, and Yum needed recompiled for the new
>version.  Now with an Anaconda based install who cares.  You aren't using
>the installed system for anything during the upgrade process.  However, if
>you are trying to use the Python tools to upgrade the system you are going
>to see major headaches.

I agree that this scenario is possible but (and I may be wrong) aren't
most scripting languages usually backwards compatible in that a script
created for an older version of the scripting language would usually
still run on the newer vertsion..

>People have done this in the past with other updates (8 -> 9 or 9 -> FC1),
>but it has always been on the assumption of "if it breaks, you get to keep
>the pieces".

This is the point, to try and get to a point where the chances of ending
up with pieces is far less likely since the people in the know have
tried to avoid a situation that would cause the system to break from an
inplace upgrade using YUM or similar..

Later..