Can't get kernel 2.6.1boot properly

Tarjei Knapstad tarjeik at chemcon.no
Mon Jan 12 14:05:49 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 10:23, d l wrote:

<snip>

> VFS: Cannot open device "LABEL=/" or unknown-block(0,0)
> Please append a correct "root"= boot option.
> Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> Changing grub.conf line:
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1 amp=realmode-power-off ro
> root=LABEL=/ rhgb
>
> to:
>
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.1 amp=realmode-power-off ro
> root=/dev/hdc1 rhgb
>
> doesnt go very far either; system is stuck again when it
> tries to mount other partitions/disk.

That's not the 'root' entry it's referring to. On my RH8 box I have
this:

title Red Hat Linux (2.4.20-28.8)
        root (hd0,5)
        kernel /vmlinuz-2.4.20-28.8 ro root=LABEL=/
        initrd /initrd-2.4.20-28.8.img

Try adding

       root (hd2,1)

to your grub.conf and see if that helps. You can do a bit of
experimenting by just editing this entry from grub if it still fails
(press 'e' after grub has loaded).

Cheers,
--
Tarjei