Non FOSS and Fedora

Michael Schwendt ms-nospam-0306 at arcor.de
Mon Jan 12 14:11:23 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 04:51:18 -0500, Adam Kosmin wrote:

> I couldn't help but notice Thomas Chung's tutorials up on fedoranews.org
> which describe how to install Acrobat Reader, Helix, and Macromedia
> Flash.
>
> In light of The Fedora Project's #2 objective being "Build the operating
> system exclusively from open source software.", I must pose this
> question to the list:
>
> Is it appropriate to encourage people to install non-FOSS software on
> Fedora?

Yes. For Joe User it is appropriate to choose the solution of least
resistance. And which works satisfactory or better than any half-baked
open-source versions of their proprietary counter-parts.

Fedoranews.org is a website made by users for users. It is not an offical
Fedora Project website.

If you don't like the proprietary software that is recommended there,
contribute a well-written article about alternative solutions which are
competitive with regard to feature set, maturity and easy of installation.
In addition to that, discuss with users to find out the possible reasons
why e.g. they don't use xpdf (as example).