NFS and Samba Clients

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Mon Jan 12 14:13:15 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 00:51, Krikket wrote:
> (Now, do you have any suggestions to allow it to mount those directories
> automagically, whenever I log in?  Or will I need to memorize that
> unwieldly mount command?)

If you setuid root /usr/bin/smbmnt and /usr/bin/smbumount then normal
users can mount and unmount any SMB shares using the smbmount and
smbumount commands.  (setuid root on any program is always a potential
security risk, of course.  As a better alternative setup /etc/sudoers to
allow specific users or a group to run smbmount and smbumount with sudo.
see:"man sudo" and "man sudoers")

You may be able to mount and unmount your shares in ~/.bashrc and
~/.bash_logout.  In ~/.bashrc you would need to test whether the share
is already mounted.

Your mount command would look something like:
  smbmount //windowsmachine/fileshare /home/myuser/fileshare
username=myuser password=foo

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/