Thoughts on FC and the future..

WipeOut wipe_out at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Jan 12 14:49:58 UTC 2004

Benjamin J. Weiss wrote:

>So, if I am reading you correctly, Fedora Core users are going to have one
>of four options from now on:
>
>1) Re-install their servers from scratch, every 5-6 months.
>
>2) Try to go it alone on an upgrade path that is not supported, and pray
>that they can keep their server somewhat stable in some arcane way.
>
>3) Stick with their current FC1 and try to keep up to date on all of the
>security fixes themselves, since they won't be supported for but an
>additional 2 months or so.
>
>4) Forget about it and allow the bad guys to hack into their system when the
>next big security hole is found.
>
>Does that about sum it up?
>
>As an addendum...is Redhat forcing Fedora Core into a too-rapid release
>cycle in order to force people to purchase their RHEL offerings?  It sure
>feels that way to me...

Thats what I put on the end of my original mail, that the ability to
easily migrate from one release to the next may be blocked by RH since
its one of their major selling points for RHEL..

I am sure a structure could be put in place where seemless migration
from one relase to the next could be achived.. even do awat with
releases all together and simply use snapshots to install new systems
and then just keep the system current from then on with no need to
"upgrade" the whole system ever..

later..