Non FOSS and Fedora

Keven Ring keven at mitre.org
Mon Jan 12 19:18:35 UTC 2004

Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:

>On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 18:00, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
>

>>In this whole discussion, YOU are the limiter of freedoms claming to know
>>what's best for everybody else.
>>

>Where did I limit anyone's freedom of anything? I'm confused.

By suggesting that a user cannot install non-FOSS software onto a FOSS
operating system.

I would argue that most users of Fedora understand what Free, Open
Source Software not only means, but what it stands for.  However, that
does not mean that the commercial world is a) not allowed to make
products, or b) not allowed to make a competing product.

In fact, in many cases, commercial software provides a better
alternative to similar FOSS products.  But, guess what?  The reverse is
also true - FOSS has developed a *much* better OS [IMO] in a variety of
ways.  As a user, I should be able to choose the best software for the
job.  To me, *this* is my preferred freedom - not being TOLD what to do,
or how to do it, but to let me make up my own mind.

--
Keven Ring                      | They called it Paradise
Lead Software Systems Engineer  |   I don't know why...