Thoughts on FC and the future..

William Hooper whooperhsd3 at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 12 19:22:37 UTC 2004

Sam Barnett-Cormack said:
> Given the track record with redhat of how often upgrades go wrong,

The upgrade on my laptop from RHL9 to FC1 went completely without problems.

> and
> the fact that such an upgrade requires more downtime, I think a lot of
> people will worry about that.

I would prefer more planned downtime than the downtime that comes from
breaking something.  All upgrades will require downtime, some more than
others.  As I said in a previous post, trying to get a distro to upgrade
through yum, etc. isn't a bad thing, just as long as people understand
that it may not be possible in some cases (like FC1 -> FC2 IMHO).  APIs,
config files, library versions change, and trying to change these while
you are using them can cause Bad Things (tm).

> Is fedora there to provide a good distro to users, or to exploit users
> to redhat's commercial benefit?

You'll have to pardon me for not looking over my shoulder for the black
heliocopters...

Fedora IS the community.  So the community is there to provide a good
distro to the community.  You would probably do well to get over the "I'm
a user, Fedora owes me..." mentality.

--
William Hooper