Broken packages in Synaptic

Richard McCord akahb at swbell.net
Mon Jan 12 20:44:00 UTC 2004

   I am trying to follow the instructions to use Synaptic to install
totem, xmms-mp3, etc.  However, I am greeted with a list of several
unfulfilled package dependencies.  Some of these, such as libaa, cannot
be found by Synaptic.  So, I tell Synaptic to update the list and am
told that I have "broken packages".

   How does one identify and repair these unnamed broken packages?  Is
there a CLI utility to search out and list these broken packages so
that I might remove them?  Is there a way -- and is it advisable -- to
reset the package list altogether and have it rebuild itself with good
information?  Does Synaptic perform housekeeping on the packages it
downloads?  By that, I mean, if it recognizes that a package is broken,
isn't there some method for it to flag that package and re-download a
good one?

Respectfully,

Richard McCord