How to force logoff remotely?

David L Norris dave at webaugur.com
Mon Jan 12 20:57:28 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 14:56, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> andrew    4886     1  0 Jan11 ?        00:00:00 [gnome-session <defunct>]
>
> The name "gnome-session" looked promising, so I tried a 'kill -(harrison
> ford) 4886'. There appeared to be no effect.

Try to login (ssh or console) as andrew and run:
  kill -KILL -1

That should kill every process andrew has permission to kill.  DO NOT
ever do this as root.  ;-)

You appear to have many defunct (zombie) processes.  Zombies may or may
not cause problems.  They aren't actually running.  The defunct programs
are dead but waiting for their parent to free them.  The parent process
that launched those processes "forgot" to clean up when they exited.
(But it sounds like you know that.)

You might try killing gdm and see if that frees them.  ("init 3" and
check your process list.  "init 5" to get back up to graphical.)
Otherwise, they'll probably show up in the process list until init is
killed (i.e. reboot).  It's extremely rare for your entire login session
to zombie.  Something strange must've happened; perhaps a hung mount
command or something.

--
 David Norris
  http://www.webaugur.com/dave/