Windows key (Was Re: 2 newbie questions.)

Gerry Maddock gerrym at futuremetals.com
Mon Jan 12 22:10:18 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-admin at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-admin at redhat.com] On
Behalf Of Robin Laing
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 4:49 PM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: Re: Windows key (Was Re: 2 newbie questions.)

David Jackson wrote:
>>My take on this issue is where and how can keyboards be configured for
>>the different types available.  Where would be a good site be to look
>>at these details.
>
> Robin --
> This goes back to my orginal post? You have to draw  difference between
> "applicatons" (i.e. Apache, MySQL, KDE and Gnome) the and OS?
>
> Or to put in more common term your house:
>
> House = Linux OS
> Water heater = GNOME/KDE
>
> If you water heater stopped working, would you:
> 1. call the "builder"
> 2. look in the phone book for repair person who works on water heaters?
> 3. Get a do it youself book, and wing it( which is always a options w/
> Open Source).
>
> Note: Broke in this instance means not working as  you want it to.
>
> When you post to a general Linux list.. your calling the builder(helpers).
>
> David

But the builders usually have the blue prints and specifications as to
who to contact (on a newer house) or tell you to look in the yellow
pages.

The catch is there needs to be a decent set of yellow pages created
that is normal everyday language.  Something that a new user can look
at and say, "That looks easy, I think I will try it".  Not somehting
that looks like it requires a degree in computer science to work with.

It is confusing when you are running a configuration script and a
question appears but there is no documentation on what it means.  I
ran into this on the weekend and I found the answer today.

The yellow pages should be easily found on the default fedora site
under the support section.  Links to other sites would be very nice.
Sometimes a new user doesn't know the correct word to do a search.
Hey I have been using Linux since 1994 and I still have problems
finding the correct answer.

These lists are a great way for new users to find answers though.

--
Robin Laing

Take a look at Xmodmap (/etc/X11/Xmodmap)
http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/xmodmap.1.html
As far as this "general" list being the "builders"... that's BS. If I see a
post to the list that doesn't really apply to the list, I just ignore it or
try to answer as best as possible.