Newbee question: Telnet doesn't work with Fedora core 1

Gerry Maddock gerrym at futuremetals.com
Mon Jan 12 22:30:05 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-admin at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-admin at redhat.com] On
Behalf Of Gerry Maddock
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 5:22 PM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com
Subject: RE: Newbee question: Telnet doesn't work with Fedora core 1

-----Original Message-----
From: fedora-list-admin at redhat.com [mailto:fedora-list-admin at redhat.com] On
Behalf Of Dennis McCracken
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 5:08 PM
To: fedora-list at redhat.com

I've installed Fedora core 1 on a desktop system for "Workstation". Anaconda
worked well with my system.  I have the network up and running and I'm able
to surf the web etc...

When I try to telnet into the system from my NT box I get rejected.  This
feels like a security issue but I've tried several tools provided as part of
Fedora and I've gotten nowhere after two hours of searching for an answer.
I'm sure someone here knows the answer.  It's probably some default setting
that needs to be changed.

Thanks in advance...

                - Dennis -

Do you have telnet-server installed? (rpm -qa|grep telnet)
If not, either install it from your cd or up2date (up2date telnet-server)
If it is installed, is the server running? (chkconfig --list|grep telnet)
If its not running, you can start it by: chkconfig telnet on
If its already running, iptables(firewalling)might be blocking your request.
If so, you can reconfigure iptables (the easiest way is via "setup", or you
could briefly turn off iptables by: service ip tables stop. When you are
done, you can restart iptables by: service iptables start

Ohh-yeah---- I forgot:
If telnet server was off, and you ran "chkconfig telnet on" you will have to
restart xinetd by: service xinetd restart