Non FOSS and Fedora

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at 1407.org
Mon Jan 12 22:35:08 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-01-12 at 19:18, Keven Ring wrote:
> Rui Miguel Seabra wrote:
> > Where did I limit anyone's freedom of anything? I'm confused.
> By suggesting that a user cannot install non-FOSS software onto a FOSS
> operating system.

1) I never said a user can't install non-Free Software on a Free
Software operating system and,
2) How, pray tell, can one person, by considering harmful and expressing
my opinion do I force anything upon anyone?

> I would argue that most users of Fedora understand what Free, Open
> Source Software not only means, but what it stands for.  However, that
> does not mean that the commercial world is a) not allowed to make
> products, or b) not allowed to make a competing product.

This paragraph alone shows that you don't understand that Free Software
can be commercialized too

The kind of license a piece of software has (Free Software or non-Free
Software) is something completely independent of the price it is sold
for, or of all the businesses that can be made with Free Software.

There's gratis Free Software.
There's gratis non-Free Software.
There's Free Software you can pay a lot to get it (RHEL?)
There's non-Free Software you can pay a lot to get it (most commercial
AND proprietary software).

Besides, there's a lot of competition among Free Software programs.
When you choose to use only Free Software, you're usually not choosing
to use one particular program over another (proprietary) one.

Like there are many competing proprietary programs, there are many Free
Software programs.

By using only Free Software, I am setting a higher level for software I
can choose to use, and not one particular program.

+ So let's do it...?