gimp-2.0pre1

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Mon Jan 12 22:48:54 UTC 2004

Alexandre Strube wrote:
> Em Seg, 2004-01-12 às 15:28, George Farris escreveu:
>
>>Has anyone on the list compiled the new gimp with all the correct
>>dependencies for fedora.  I usually means xsane-gimp and
>>gimp-print-plugin as well.  If so are the rpms available anywhere?
>

> What are the advantages of gimp2? Fedora is using a really old version,
> even before the 1.3...

Fedora is using the latest stable release according to

http://www.gimp.org/stable_ver.html

It looks like 1.3 was the development version that's leading up to an
eventual 2.0 release... not exactly what most of us want by default.
2.0preX are still considered 'development'.

I had to download 2.0pre1 in order to try to find out the answer to
"What's Changed" (More software should keep their release notes
online!), but reproduce it here for your edification.

If you don't -need- a new feature, and don't want to contribute to
bug-hunting, you should stick with the stable release.

Exerpt from gimp-2.0pre1/README

The GIMP: The GNU Image Manipulation Program

This is a pre-release of GIMP version 2.0. Actually it still is GIMP-1.3,
the developers version of The GIMP. But we got pretty close to the final
2.0 release, the plug-in API has settled and you are encouraged to try
this software. Your feedback can help to make the 2.0 release a success.
If you encounter any problems, please report them to our bug-tracker at
bugzilla.gnome.org. There are still a number of known problems, so please
check first if your problem has already been reported.

GIMP-2.0 installs side-by-side with GIMP-1.2 so there's no need to
uninstall GIMP-1.2 (but sooner or later you will not be using it any
longer...).

Some features that were present in GIMP 1.2 are not included in this
release. The perl bindings as well as all the perl scripts are not any
longer included in this source tree. They have been moved into its own
module called gimp-perl. Sooner or later there will be a gimp-perl
release for GIMP-2.0. GAP, a set of plug-ins that used to live in the
Video submenu has also become a separate package. Expect a preview
release of this software for GIMP-2.0 soon.