Thoughts on FC and the future..

Krikket krikket at gothpoodle.com
Mon Jan 12 23:36:38 UTC 2004

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 rrs_rhlist at softhome.net wrote:

> as per the Red Hat wish list for Fedora, they mean to make it a "General
> Purpose" OS for everyones need. But will it really be ?
> They and Fedora Project has clearly mentioned that the releases will be on
> bleeding edge release of packages. Doesn't it seem to be a all time Beta
> OS ( Or I should say Red Hat Beta Release). It doesn't have a structure
> like Debian of having stable, testing and unstable which IMHO should be.

OBTopPostComment:  Please don't.

But I echo your thoughts...  The dizzying rate of updates that I've been
subjected to is really quite too much.  What was it, 4 kernal updates
within a spam of 7 or 10 days?

Xine is broken on one of my two machines because of these updates, and
that seems par for the course.

I'd switch to Debian now, but I'm not quite enough of a geek to figure out
the install stage *and* get everything working correctly.  (It doesn't
have a nice install interface...  Manually entering your monitors synch
rates?  C'mon...  Sure, it gives you extra flexability, but for someone
who doesn't know quite which way is up, you get lost and bungle the
install.  So you end up with an incorrectly compiled kernal.  (Which
happened to me...))  I have a feeling I'd have the same problems with
Gentoo, otherwise I'd go that route.

If a Fedora Stable release were made, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat.  But
I don't see that in the works.  In the meantime, I'll keep poking around
and searching.  Hopefully I'll find something soon that works.

(Mandrake has issues with an optical wheel mouse.  If it can't get that
much done, why should I trust it enough to buy a new mouse to work with
the package?  Besides, with the troubles in Mandrake's future, I don't
know that that's a route I want to go.)  SuSE was a nightmare to compile
anything, but you've seen those rants...)

You get the idea.

Fedora Stable would be a *really* good idea.  I know other users who've
left to other distros for this very reason....

Krikket