Non FOSS and Fedora

Adam Kosmin akosmin at nyc.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 00:13:23 UTC 2004

Alex,

I do not believe that Rui ever said that users should not be allowed to
do something and believe he is being misquoted. Unfortunatley, this
tends to happen often when discussions like this occur. People tend to
confuse "should not" with "can not".

To simplify, of course users CAN install non-free software onto their
Fedora platforms. However, the question has come up as to whether the
Fedora community SHOULD advocate this practice.

Should != Can

Adam Kosmin

" Just a quick question to those following this thread, did I miss the part where Rui (you, if you're reading this Rui), told others that they could not do something? I've seen this mentioned across a few posts (not just in relation to this thread either), that stated you and others of like mind such as myself make a habit of telling others what they can and can not do.
"
" OTOH, it's been my experience that Rui (you) have attempted to point out what would be a better way of handling said situation. Is this my misinterpretation of what's been said thus far in the thread and others? I was under the impression that the advice given was simply a matter of what -should- be done. As opposed to what must happen.
"
" Alex
"
" --
" If you understand, things are just as they are; if you do not understand, things are just as they are. --Spoken in Zen

--

"Yes, Your Honor. Now, where we are so far, in at least my
line of reasoning, is I want to walk the Court through enough of our

-- Kevin McBride SCO vs. IBM 12/05/03