3c59x problems

daniel_oxley at westlb-systems.co.uk daniel_oxley at westlb-systems.co.uk
Tue Jan 13 08:56:02 UTC 2004

use MII-TOOL as root.  this app allows you to change these settings.

          Marina Buitrago <buitrago at us.es>

          Sent by: fedora-list-admin at redhat.com

          13/01/2004 08:48

          Please respond to fedora-list

To:   fedora-list at redhat.com
cc:
Subject:                   Re: 3c59x problems

Price, Jason wrote:
> I have just installed Fedora for the first time, and am running into
> problems with my NIC.  The box has a 3com 905B card in it, which is
capable
> of 100full.  The OS seems to recognize this capability, and also
recognizes
> the link partner also has this capability.  However, the link auto
> negotiates to 10full.  I have tried forcing it via mii-tool, but it won't
> take the change.  I added these lines to modules.conf:
>
> "options 3c59x options=4 full_duplex=1"
>
> But, that failed to obtain a link at all.  Below is the output of
mii-tool
> with no driver options:
>
> eth0: 10 Mbit, full duplex, link ok
>   product info: vendor 01:e1:c1, model 56 rev 7
>   basic mode:   isolate, collision test, 10 Mbit, full duplex
>   basic status: autonegotiation restarted, link ok
>   capabilities:
>   advertising:  100baseT4 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD flow-control
>   link partner: 100baseT4 100baseTx-FD 100baseTx-HD flow-control
>

> Any ideas how I can force this to 100full?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Jason

I use the 3c59x module too and I couldn't make my card work properly
with the default autonegotiation, so I forced 100-FD both at the switch
and my computer, and now the errors are gone.

These are the relevant lines in "/etc/modules.conf":

######
# Tarjeta de red (3Com 3c905C-TX/TX-M [Tornado])
#
# 0x200 = 10BASET, FD
# 0x204 = 100BASETX, FD
# 0x008 = Auto
#
alias eth0 3c59x
options 3c59x "options=0x204"

Hope this helps.

--
Marina Buitrago Bravo (buitrago at us.es)
Servicio de Informática y Comunicaciones

NOTA: Este mensaje está firmado digitalmente. Para poder reconocer la
      firma desde su cliente de correo debe instalar el certificado
      raíz de la Autoridad de Certificación de la Universidad de
      Sevilla en su navegador, disponible en:
      https://www.us.es/SIC/ca-us/

This message is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, we kindly ask you to inform the sender. Any unauthorised dissemination or copying hereof is prohibited. This message serves for information purposes only and shall not have any legally binding effect. Given that e-mails can easily be subject to manipulation, we can not accept any liability for the content provided.