Switching from run level 5 to 3 hangs

Fritz Whittington f.whittington at att.net
Tue Jan 13 16:41:26 UTC 2004

On or about 2004-01-13 03:53, David Balazic whipped out a trusty #2
pencil and scribbled:

>>----------

Well, I was amazed to read that it wasn't working the way it always has
for me since RH 7.  I just tried it again on FC1, using both KDE and
Gnome.  From a console window (Konsole on KDE or GnomeTerminal on Gnome)
as root issue "telinit 3".  The display switches to a black screen with
the regular MS-DOS style of 25x80 characters, and all the
shutdown/startup messages go by.  The last of these is "anacron".  Here,
Gnome and KDE differ:  Gnome leaves you logged in as root, with a
prompt.  Doing a who shows you are on tty1.  In fact, hitting
<alt><ctl>F2 gets you to a login prompt on tty2, and hitting
<alt><ctl>F1 indeed gets you back to your root prompt.  Under KDE, you
have to hit <return> and get a login prompt, have to login, but you
*are* on tty1.  In either case, when you issue the "telinit 5" command
and go back to the X terminal (automatically switched, you don't have to
messages still on the screen  above your new login prompt.

Now, I think that's the way it was *intended* to work, because it does
pretty much what you would expect/need it to do, all automatically.  If
it doesn't work that way on your installation of FC1, I would submit
that something is mis-configured or corrupted.

--
Fritz Whittington
It is the duty of every citizen according to his best capacities to give validity to his convictions in political affairs. (Albert Einstein, 'Treasury for the Free World,' 1946)