Fingerprint Identification - Was Re: Whitebox Linux

Benjamin J. Weiss benjamin at weiss.name
Tue Jan 13 22:35:01 UTC 2004

From: "Alexandre Strube" <surak at surak.eti.br>
> Em Ter, 2004-01-13 às 14:44, Benjamin J. Weiss escreveu:
>
> > well evaluate RH vs Suse and see which one we use".  Of course, the guy
in
> > charge of our Automated Fingerprint Identification System is an old-hand
> > Suse guy, and you can imagine how that's affecting things.
>
> I've been discussing about this exact matter today with a friend of
> mine. Is there any public APIs, drivers, programs, for fingerprint
> identification? Or at least drivers for those fingerprint readers?
>
> Thanks for the info - this is going to be very valuable to me.

And I'm sorry to have to disappoint you. :(  I work for a US state law
enforcement agency, and we use Motorola's PrinTrak solution.  It's big
money, for law enforcement agencies, but it rocks!  And it lets us
communicate with the FBI and the other states for records searches.

I believe that the search algorithm is proprietary, though the hardware is
available from multiple sources.

Ben