an up2date idea

Alexandre Strube surak at surak.eti.br
Tue Jan 13 22:31:12 UTC 2004

Em Ter, 2004-01-13 às 19:12, Don escreveu:

> My understanding of how BT works... to be effective, BT requires other
> machines on the public internet to have access to my machine while my
> download is in progress. MY machine then acts as another source for files,
> effectively increasing the supply of servers for people to download files
> from. When I start a BT download, BT also starts a "server" on my machine to
> serve up the very file it is downloading.
> Since my external firewall blocks most incoming traffic, my machine won't
> even see a request from another machine. BT also detects this "non-sharing
> attitude" and thinks I don't play nice in the sandbox.
> I have multiple machines behind a NAT router.... if I want each of them to
> act as BT "sources", how can I do that?
> Answer:
> BT on each of my machines has to send a periodic "here I am" message to the
> main BT server. That "here I am" message will cause a brief (configurable)
> opening in my external firewall, and build the needed NAT translation so
> somebody "out there" can connect to each of my machines accordingly. As long
> as traffic continues, the opening in my firewall remains.
>
> It's doable, but I don't think BT does that now... it just assumes certain
> ports are open...

I don't remember how it works, but I've seen some machines running it
(and sharing) from behind a NAT.

If it sends a "here I am", the connection could be done from this point
- once it begun inside. I don't know if bt is smart enough though.

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group