Wish list for Fedora Core 2

Alexandre Strube surak at surak.eti.br
Wed Jan 14 01:07:52 UTC 2004

Em Ter, 2004-01-13 às 21:40, Mariano Draghi escreveu:

> Oh, well... I think it's just a matter of time. Linux has just got the
> attention of the Workstation world... When? Yesterday? Or so... ;)

Suse, mandrake, and, specially, redhat 8, along with kde and gnome, are
responsible for this (and for some profit to memory manufacturers)..

> And the same (but the other way around...) can be said about Windows,
> for example. Why I don't have a decent command line interpreter. Why the
> installation media doesn't come with a _decent_ text editor, or a
> compiler, or a toolkit, or Python, or whatever.

Well, when this is a community project, the complains are at least
viewed from the responsible people (Alan Cox just sent me the answer to
numlock, which looks like the standard answer for this: "patch the
kernel and send it to the maintainers" :-)

Try calling microsoft support - even worse, look around ms's site for a
Request For Enhancement - It looks like they decide which is best for
you.

> The problem here is that the main audience of Linux has started to
> change. Or at least to get wider. And things need time to get done.

Like ignoring numlock's state? :-)

> Apart from that, not always is _that_ easy to look for some setting in
> the BIOS... it's not that "standard". Maybe other OSs have a thousand of
> patches and "what-if" to deal with every BIOS out there. And every BIOS
> manufacturer is willing to give to the development team of those OSs all
> the help they need, under a non-disclosure agreement, of course, and
> that's something that GNU/Linux doesn't have.

Yeah right. But is that difficult? I'm not telling: "read the bios'
state of numlock". Just ignore it. If it's on, let it on. if off, let it
that way. Cannot be that complicated.

> Just my 0.2 cents.
> And please, sorry for my English, just in case... ;)

Looks like your english is far more better than mine :-)

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group