[fedora] new to linux...need help with network

Randy Kelsoe randykel at swbell.net
Wed Jan 14 06:18:34 UTC 2004

Peter Loron wrote:

> The stuff you need is probably here:
>
> http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261.html
>
> ...but somebody who has actually dealt with this mobo may be able to
> give you a more specific answer.
>
> -Pete
>
> Robert Teed wrote:
>
>> I think the network slot  a Realtek RTL 8201 BL PHY
>> Can anyone help???

I have a Gigabyte MB with the nforce2 chipset, and the built-in lan is a
RealTek 8169.  Try an    lspci |grep -i ether
and it should tell you what you have. With my machine, the network did
not activate itself after a fresh install. I had to run
redhat-config-network, select the NIC< and click on activate to get it
to come to life.