Strange behaviour in iptables

Alexandre Strube surak at surak.eti.br
Wed Jan 14 12:51:03 UTC 2004

Hello list,

I have a fedora machine acting as NAT router between a small network and
a adsl connection. Iptables is managing this. This is working for some
time (redhat 8 -> redhat 9 -> fc1) I cannot even remember WHERE in init
scripts this is configured.

The booting sequence is:

raises eth0
raises ppp0 (it auto-connects, get ip, and so on)
web connection (my isp requires we access a web page for authentication
- I have a small script that automates this)
Dynamic ip.

For some days now (I don't know what was the exact update, as I don't
rebbot very often - this machine keeps up for weeks), but now, when I
reboot, iptables doesn't do NAT anymore. The only way to get it working
is doing a 'service iptables restart' and everything works again, which
make me sure that iptables' nat config is ok.

Can someone help me with this? This is preety annoying on these times of
2.4 -> 2.6 transition (when I reboot quite often)

By the way, this behaviour is with 2.4.22.2140.

--
[]s

Alexandre Ganso
500 FOUR vermelha - Diretor Steel Goose Moto Group