Interdependencies between Galeon and Mozilla: FC1 upgrade from RH9

Chris Rouch crouch at pobox.com
Wed Jan 14 14:52:31 UTC 2004

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 15:56:24 -0600
Fritz Whittington <f.whittington at att.net> wrote:

> On or about 2004-01-13 15:28, Alexandre Strube whipped out a trusty #2
> pencil and scribbled:
>
> >Em Ter, 2004-01-13 às 14:20, Don Levey escreveu:
> >

> >>On the up side, most everything now works (though I may still have
> >to>recompile a kernel for a few niggling details).  On the downside,
> >after the>upgrade Galeon (her browser of choice) would not start.  No
> >error, just no>browser.
> >>

> >Galeon was abandoned from switching from gnome 2.2 to 2.4. The
> >gnome's navigator name is epyphany now. Just remove galeon (with
> >--force if you need to), and install mozilla, or, if you prefer,
> >epyphany, which will make you install some mozilla stuff anyway.
> >

> In addition to the above, at Dag's site:
> ### Dag Apt Repository for Red Hat Fedora Core 1
> rpm http://apt.sw.be/ redhat/fc1/en/i386 dag
>
> there are RPM's for Mozilla 1.5 and a Galeon which works with it.
> Also for 1.6b, I think.  I know the 1.5 set works, I've installed
> them.  Do an rpm -e for both mozilla and galeon, then install the new
> ones from Dag using whatever you like.

It's worth noting though that galeon-1.3.x which is what you'll get from
Dag is a very different beast to galeon-1.2.x, which is my browser of
choice on RH7 and RH9. IMO the 1.3 series has been seriously
dumbed down, but more seriously is significantly slower. When I
installed FC1 I compared galeon, mozilla, epiphany and firebird for
features and speed. Galeon was by far the slowest, mozilla and firebird
the fastest. Firebird looks like it's going to be really good, but isn't
quite yet, so I'm using mozilla. This is on a 700MHz laptop, so it's
possible that speed variations will be insignificant on a modern, fast
machine.

Regards,

Chris