trouble running program in terminal after using 'su -l username'

Alexander Dalloz alexander.dalloz at uni-bielefeld.de
Wed Jan 14 19:07:41 UTC 2004

Am Mi, den 14.01.2004 schrieb John Li um 16:54:
> I am having trouble running a program from the command line
> after I login as root and switch to a user account with su.
>
> For example, after logging in as root, I want to get info off the
> web, but all my links are stored in my user account.
> So, I open a terminal, type
>   su -l username
> and then type
>   mozilla
> Nothing happens, even when I specify the full path '/usr/bin/mozilla'.
>
> Is there anything I can do to get around this?
>
> John

Hi John,

it is just as the X server prohibits to be connected. You should see a
message like

$ gnome-terminal
Xlib: No protocol specified

(gnome-terminal:31609): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

By default in Fedora X server is set to "-nolisten tcp". You can change
that in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf by setting DisallowTCP=true -> false.
After X restart and trying what you want to achieve you have to also set
"xhost +localhost". You can set that line for automatically be executed
in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.

Alexander

I hope you are running X as normal user and switch to root only by
opening a terminal and calling "su -" in it. Easiest way to get an
additional user console would be to open a new terminal. Never ever run
X as root!

--
Alexander Dalloz | Enger, Germany
PGP key valid: made 13.07.1999