gtoaster not working

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Wed Jan 14 20:07:05 UTC 2004

Andy Green wrote:

> On Wednesday 14 January 2004 16:16, Robin Laing wrote:
>
>>Alexandre Strube wrote:
>

>>>I'm ok with security concerns, but claim security reasons for not
>>>enabling cd-recording is too much for me. Can you imagine if the same
>>>happened to floppies?
>>
>>Actually I can.
>>
>>Our local college is removing floppies from their computers and all
>>users must use USB sticks.
>

> Can't make ANY sense of that... what is the security improvement from moving
> from floppy to USB removable storage?  Speed (well, on read), storage
> density, reliability, sure... but security?  They both contain filesystems
> that can contain anything.

I agree.  I didn't make the decision.  I think that it has more to do
with sizes of files not fitting on floppies.  I don't know if there
are ways of increasing security of what a USB stick can do in Windows.

It may also be setup that all your files remain on your stick and thus
if you trash the system, it is your files that are toast.

It is a pain as there was a mad rush for USB sticks leaving most local
stores out of stock.

--
Robin Laing