How to configure DNS is Fedora Core

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Wed Jan 14 21:02:49 UTC 2004

Tom Pitts wrote:
> I am new to Linux and just went out and purchased Fedora. I would like to start hosting my companies external DNS servers with this software but cannot seem to find any good documentation on setting it up. Could someone help me please?

1) install bind-utils, bind, and (optionally) bind-chroot
2) add a line similar to the following to your /etc/sysconfig/iptables
-A RH-Firewall-1-INPUT -m state --state NEW -p tcp --dport 53 -j ACCEPT
3) review the Bindv9 documentation now on your system in
/usr/share/doc/bind-9.2.2.P3/arm/
4) configure bind as usual
5) Make sure your domain registry has the IP of your primary and
secondary servers so other people can find you.
6) # chkconfig named on

I set up a series of chrooted servers recently for my network and it
went remarkably smoothly (although I do have previous experience using
BIND).