ssh -6 error(s)

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Wed Jan 14 21:43:58 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-01-14 at 20:58, Zach Wilkinson wrote:

> However, I read in some RFC that site local addresses were going to be
> deprecated, so I figured link local addresses would be usable similar to
> APIPA addresses.  If not, that leaves only global addresses which no US
> broadband provider will ever hand out.

Link-local addresses have very restricted functionality. and they are
mainly used for neighbour discovery and router discovery. They allow
autoconfiguration and not intended for use by higher level protocols, as
I described in my previous e-mail.

Also, there have been some discussing about deprecating IPv6 site-local
addresses. But you shouldn't worry much about this as you have two
solutions:

1) Deploy site-local addresses right now. If they become deprecated, you
can still use network prefix renumbering to turn them into global
addresses.
2) Deploy a testing global prefix, like 2000::/64 for IPv6.

I deployed site-local addresses as the name resolver prefers IPv4
private addresses to IPv6 global-addresses when two dual-stack hosts try
to communicate with each other.

> How are networks suppose to use IPv6 without being connected to the v6
> Internet?

I don't understand the question... You can use IPv6, or IPv4, without
being connected to the Internet.

Nowadays, there are many tunnel broker services (for example,
http://www.freenet6.net/) which allow you to connect to the IPv6
Internet and access sites which support IPv6 natively.