Access ext3 and the like from M$ Windows?

Thomas j.a.d.e at gmx.net
Wed Jan 14 22:23:55 UTC 2004

Well, first thanx a lot to all who answered so fast.
Well, yes i meant local access on the same machine, when the MS os is
booted.
I think LTOOLS may be what can help me.

To the statement of Robert:

> Microsoft has no incentive to write an ext2 driver, because they want it to remain as
> difficult as possible for the two systems to co-exist.
> So... Who'd sit down and write such a driver? There's no advantage from either side
> of the fence.

Well, most of that is true. But it is my personal experience, that the
lack of a really good working common FS inhibits people that are lesser
techies to convert to Linux. I have known a lot ppl who tried to use
linux and gave up. A big point is because it was too difficult to access
their data from each other OS while they still do not really know how to
use a unix system correctly. I just assumed, that it is knowingly
difficult to write linux driver for the MS filesystems (i dont consider
the exising vfat and ntfs drivers as 'good working'), it should be a lot
easier to write MS driver for the Lin filesystems. But i agree, the ppl
who usually write drivers may have no interest at all in writing MS code.

Well, thanks for the links, though.

Thomas