RPM

Bevan C. Bennett bevan at fulcrummicro.com
Thu Jan 15 00:11:16 UTC 2004

Mike Westkamper wrote:
> I have had such a problem getting up2date to work I've downloaded the update
> directory from a mirror onto my local machine. What rpm options do I use to
> upgrade the packages? Better ask before I screw something up.

I've been using yum for this, with good success.
1) edit the relevant bit of /etc/yum.conf to something like:
(This assumes you put the RPMs in /home/fedora/1/updates)

[updates-released]
name=Fedora Core $releasever - $basearch - Released Updates
baseurl=file:///home/fedora/$releasever/updates
gpgcheck=1

2) # yum-arch /home/fedora/$releasever/updates
3) yum update

I've been very happy ever since I switched to yum. It's tasty.