pam config

Tom Mitchell mitch48 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jan 15 01:47:10 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jan 12, 2004 at 04:20:15PM -0800, Bevan C. Bennett wrote:
> Adam Kosmin wrote:
>  > I'm looking at my pam configuration and noticed...

> >auth	required	/lib/security/$ISA/pam_deny.so
> >
> >My filesystem does not contain a directory path of /lib/security/$ISA so
> >I can't help but become curious.
>
> On most GNU/Linux platforms, the variable $ISA is not set.

Translate $ISA as "Instruction Set Architecture" or perhaps processor
feature and favor hook.  On most intel/amd... boxes ISA issues are
transparent so this is not set.  Some folks do get hit by 386/ 486/
586/ 686 differences when they fiddle with hardware in the wrong
compatibility direction.

By setting $ISA an optimized, feature extended or compatible library
could be found first.

Try to not confuse it with the other 500 uses for ISA (like Industry
Standard Architecture. A bus standard for IBM compatibles that extends
the XT bus).

--
	T o m  M i t c h e l l
	mitch48-at-sbcglobal-dot-net