(no subject) [GRUB boot problems]

Thu Jan 15 15:43:29 UTC 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 10:16, Phil Schaffner wrote:
> List members:  Sorry for any confusion here, but we took it off the list
> so I could send Paolo an attachment.  (Anyone who would like to have the
> script, a mod of an old version of mkbootdisk to make a grub-menu
> floppy, please e-mail me directly.  If there's interest I can post it.)
>snip<
> I should have also asked for "fdisk -l" output, but will wing it -
> device names may have to be changed to protect the innocent.  It's
> possible all this can be fixed by modifying BIOS setting to change the
> boot order; however, on my IDE/IDE-RAID/SCSI system that failed to
> work.  Thus the following mess...
>
> Let's assume for now that the disk that grub (when booted from the
> floppy) sees as (hd0) is /dev/sda.  (If it's on something else, like a
> second IDE controller, it might be /dev/hde.)

Replying to my own post.  Just had a "DUHHHH!" moment when I went back
to Paolo's original post in this thread - an eternity ago in the
time-scale of this list.  He clearly shows that the disks are /dev/hda
and /dev/hdb which makes me wonder if I'm off in the weeds.

Try it anyway Paolo - just change /dev/sda to /dev/hdb everywhere, in my
last post, but I fail to understand why your system would switch the
master and slave on the same controller as preferred boot devices.  Much
easier to understand my problems where I have /dev/hda (original ATA-33
system disk), /dev/hde (large ATA-100 on HPT-370 IDE motherboard raid
controller), and /dev/sda (current Linux system disk on an Adaptec SCSI
card).

Anybody else got a clue?

Phil