How to configure DNS is Fedora Core

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Thu Jan 15 15:55:50 UTC 2004

At 14:28 1/14/2004, you wrote:
>I am new to Linux and just went out and purchased Fedora. I would like to
>start hosting my companies external DNS servers with this software but
>cannot seem to find any good documentation on setting it up. Could someone
>help me please?

First and most important, I recommend that you do NOT start moving critical
infrastructure in-house when you're just starting to learn. It's a very,
VERY risky idea and if you screw up (which you likely will, we all do!) it
will cost your company money. The $25 or $30 you spend PER YEAR on external
DNS is definitely worthwhile.

Having said that, do you understand DNS well and are looking to set it up,
or are you starting from Absolute Zero [tm]? If you want to just learn the
basic terms and concepts, I've got a "DNS First Steps" document online,
which you can reach from here:

http://www.simpaticus.com/linux

Note that my document is just a first draft, really, and is missing quite a
bit of information. Still, if you really are just starting out, anything is
better than nothing. If you want information on setting up BIND, then:

         1. Make sure you have the bind, bind-utils, and caching-nameserver
RPM packages installed.

         2. Read the man page for named.conf.

         3. Read the DNS HOWTO at the Linux Documentation Project
(http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/docs/HOWTO/other-formats/html_single/DNS-HOWTO.html).

         4. Go to the ISC's web site (http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/)
for more information.

         5. Post again here with any specific questions and we'll try to
help you.

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com