ethtool trojan detected by NAI

David S. Johnson dsjohnson at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 15 16:55:19 UTC 2004

Jason Montleon wrote:

>I caught output of my virusscan stating that /sbin/ethtool was a trojan or
>variant Linux/Exploit last night after updating to the new DAT files.  By
>default the virus scan moves the files to a folder I've specified, so I
>double checked that /sbin/ethtool did in fact no longer exist, downloaded
>the (presumably clean RPM from
>http://download.fedora.us/fedora/fedora/1/i386/RPMS.os/, (couldn't find and
>md5sum for the rpm to compare against; perhaps just didnt try hard enough)
>rpm --force -ivh ethtool* and this is what I got:
>
>[root at xxx sbin]# /opt/mcafee/uvscan /sbin/ethtool
>/sbin/ethtool
>        Found trojan or variant Linux/Exploit !!!
>        Please send a copy of the file to Network Associates

I have ethtool-1.6-2 from RedHat's Fedora repository, and it scans clean
with f-prot.  Without going to fedora.us repository to compare, I would
say it must be different, as this rpm goes into /usr/sbin/ethtool, not
/sbin/ethtool.

   "Oh scholar, if your scholarship benefits not Mankind,
    you deserve not admiration but contempt." -- Kahlil Gibran