talk daemon

Tim Sheets tsheets at insightbb.com
Thu Jan 15 23:26:17 UTC 2004

Paul Dorneanu wrote:

> yes, that was the disabled but that hasn't helped me.
>
> Colin Paul Adams wrote:
>
> | Have you edited /etc/xinetd.d/ntalk?
> |
> | disable = no is required - I think the default is disable = yes.

hmmmm...I just tried this and had no problems.  To start, I didn't have
the talk-server installed.

<snip of history>
   994  up2date talk-server
   995  chkconfig --list
   996  chkconfig ntalk on
   997  service xinetd restart
<end of snip>

Then I opened a couple of sessions and typed 'talk <username>' and
everything worked as expected.  One thing that I noticed when trying to
get this to work on RH9 is that you only have to turn on ntalk, not talk
itself.  But, the command is still talk.

xinetd based services:
         chargen-udp:    off
         rsync:  off
         chargen:        off
         daytime-udp:    off
         daytime:        off
         echo-udp:       off
         echo:   off
         services:       off
         time:   off
         time-udp:       off
         cups-lpd:       off
         sgi_fam:        on
         ntalk:  on
         talk:   off

Also, I don't think the firewall would have any effect on talking to
someone on the same host.  I know I didn't make any special
modifications, but then again, maybe (probably) I am not as secure as
some others might be.

Good Luck.

Tim