Kpackage missing from Kdeadmin - Why, and howto rectify

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Fri Jan 16 01:22:17 UTC 2004

ne... wrote:
<snip>
> Great, so here is what I suggest. Get the kdeadmin source from kde.org
> and patch it so that it works with the version of rpm that Fedora
> uses. Compile and make sure it works. Next grab the kdeadmin srpm that
> was used to build the kdeadmin rpm and do a diff against that. Add
> that diff to the srpm while making changes to the various scripts in
> the srpm. Rebuild and test. If it works, offer it up for ppl to use.
> I am sure this will be something that part of the community would love
> to use.
>
> N.Emile...

That sounds like a really long way around. Consider that the principle
of rpms right from the very beginning is to use pristine sources, it
is reasonable to expect that the src.rpm for kdeadmin contains all the
sources you need for kpackage.

The src.rpm for kdepackage does....

I suggest a better way:

_Assuming you don't have a decent 'build rpms as non-root' setup_

Grab the kdeadmin-3.1.4-1.src.rpm
Install it  as root 'rpm -ivh kdeadmin-3.1.4-1.src.rpm.
Then go to /usr/src/redhat/SPECS directory, explore kdeadmin.spec file
and notice the line '%define kpackage 0'.

After looking at the spec file, I assume that changing the '%define
kpackage 0' to '%define kpackage 1' will result in a build of kpackage
when you do 'rpmbuild -ba kdeadmin.spec' command.

The resulting rpms will be in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS BTW.

Note: I am advised that it is better to build everything as non-root
(That's how I do it). Also you should alter the name of the resulting
rpm in the spec file so as not to confuse the resulting rpm with the
genuine original Fedora one.

Cheers,
Michael