FC1 on the enterprise?

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Fri Jan 16 16:49:01 UTC 2004

At 08:40 1/16/2004, you wrote:
>I am not really sure this is going to happen... since FC2 will be the
>1st opportunity to test it, I guess I would be safer going for the
>rhel-based alternatives.

Really?

Have you considered that Red Hat puts enormous effort into Fedora, and that
their profits and business income depend on RHEL? That Red Hat is only
obligated under GPL to provide the source //to those to whom it provides
binaries//, and that their providing the RHEL source publicly (in
neatly-packaged SRPMS, no less) is an unnecessary act of generosity?

And finally, have you considered that Red Hat could cease providing public
SRPMS or even public source for RHEL at any time if they feel that their
income stream is threatened by WBEL or other alternatives? Then how are you
going to get updates? Are they going to patch, test, QA, and replicate all
that software themselves?

How, oh how, do you feel this is safer???

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz
rpaiz at simpaticus.com
http://www.simpaticus.com