cron goes mad?

Stephen Walton stephen.walton at csun.edu
Fri Jan 16 18:18:48 UTC 2004

On Fri, 2004-01-16 at 02:10, Tom Mitchell wrote:

> Coredump... I thought you said that they were waiting on disk.
> (could be dumping core, could be something else).

The output of 'ps faxwl' shows "coredu" under the WCHAN column and "D"
under the STATUS column.  What does this actually mean?

> What is happening with swap and other disk I/O generating
> processes. Are any of your file systems 'non-local' automount, nfs,
> samba, loop-back, CDROM....

Sure, and that's a good point.  In the past (RH8 and 9), the slocate
database updates would hang if one or more of the NFS clients were
unavailable, despite the fact that the standard slocate configuration is
supposed to ignore NFS mounts.  But that doesn't seem to be what
happened here.

--
Stephen Walton <stephen.walton at csun.edu>
Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Northridge